An application pen test is conducted to identify the vulnerabilities associated with an application before cyber attackers get hold of and exploit them to our losses. The test is pivotal and extremely beneficiary since it reveals how a hacker could compromise an application getting unauthorized access to sensitive data or usurp systems for specific malicious purposes.
The steps that largely cover their functionalities regarding the identification of app-centric vulnerabilities include:
- Gathering of information
- Analyzing the vulnerabilities
- Reporting the drawbacks
What does the test involve?
While the commoners might look upon a regular mobile app thinking that it is a simple thing to test, the professional test groups occupy themselves with in-depth research regarding the bug fixes of such apps as well as their compatibility issues.
There are only a few mobile operating devices akin to those of the computers; hence, the hardware could cause several compatibility issues. These professionals, therefore, bring in several mobile phones from all the major operating platforms and each of the applications is tested on each of them.
The application pen test ensures that the extra bugs are fixed prior to the launch, which would inevitably promote the positive operation of the app created. Consequently, regardless of what operating platforms they are compatible with, the users get the same great experience from using the apps as the maker had hoped to.
Reasons to choose a penetration testing procedure
- An application pen test is capable of identifying if the app is vulnerable, which is impossible to detect through a vulnerability detecting software or an automated network.
- It tests the capability of network defenders to successfully detect and take action against the attacks.
- Used to determine the viability of a particular set of attack vectors.
- They assess the impact of prospective business and operations of successful attacks.
- These tests provide sufficient evidence for increased investments in security checks and technology to C-level investors, customers and management.
- Very useful in the specific identification of high-risk vulnerabilities that stem from a combination of low-risk vulnerabilities that are abused in a particular sequence.
Lastly, why is it necessary?
Testing a mobile application before the launch is groundwork if the maker wants a risk-free and easy experience for the user to have. Moreover, with the rising demand for the mobile phones, the smartphones continue to become more versatile instigating an improvement in all the apps. However, the improvisation is almost impossible if the preliminary step of application test is skipped leaving all the bugs and vulnerabilities to fester.
There are countless application testing groups in the market and the procedure should be taken with equal importance much like how the creation and building of the app are taken. You cannot individually identify the potential threats and vulnerabilities of the application but would require a professional testing service to get hold of your app’s incompetence before the customers get a chance to be frustrated with them.